Wednesday, June 16, 2010

Noynoy Aquino and the Sponsors of Change

Less than two weeks before president-elect Noynoy Aquino takes oath as the Philippines 15th President, I cannot help but to look forward to a new type of governance and platform that he promised to deliver. Of course, it is expected that the first family, primarily Noy's sisters and nephews and nieces, would play an active and direct role in actualizing those platform and yes, promises. In fact, in an exclusive interview with TV Patrol World, immediately following the president-elect's proclamation in Congress, Noynoy's sisters Ballsy-Aquino Cruz and Kris Aquino already provided the public a hint of their priority causes. Kris will tackle education which she already started by giving books in some public elementary schools in their native Tarlac; Ballsy, the rights of indigenous peoples, and Pinky, another sister, will deal with water problem in the country. Meanwhile, in an interview with news executive Jessica Soho in GMA 7, the president-elect's nephews and nieces are also planning to sponsor a set of social issues, perhaps youth-related, on their own. Why not? They have instant, unlimited access to the next President. What a privilege indeed!

And now, in the solitude of my envious heart and in the company of fantasy and make believe, I wonder: What if I were one of Noy's brothers, or nephews? What if I were his son? What if I were Mar Roxas who the president-elect who was promised with the same unlimited access to the president as the president's immediate family? What cause would I champion? What would I do with the privileged access I have with the Most Powerful Man in the Philippines? Whose voice would I represent?

I'm thrilled by those what ifs. The power and prestige it connotes are simply overwhelming. But then again, those are just far-fetched illusions and I have to live to the reality that I, along with 90 plus million Filipinos unknown to Noynoy, would need to depend on my individual strength and on God's grace and guidance to improve my lot and to affect positive change in the harsh but beautiful world we inhabit.

1 comment:

  1. Yes, change should start with ourselves. But it wouldn't hurt if the government serves as a catalyst for it.

    Glad to see your writing, Ron. I'll link you to my blog. http://zarahtan.wordpress.com :)

    ReplyDelete