Friday, June 11, 2010

Job Interview


Exactly thirty days from now, I will be embarking on a journey back to a land so familiar and which I once trod in fact - procurement. Yes, I nailed a very important post in Accenture, currently considered the world's largest consulting firm. It has completely dawned on me just now how complex and delicate my function would be in that organization; I will be handling all low to medium-value procurement requirements for the entire Accenture Philippines and all other centers across the Asia Pacific region! I am reeling on the realization that whatever decisions I make on the job will affect around 15,000 to 20,000 employees! Indeed, what a way to spell pressure.

But I'm happy. I'm actually excited. It is so fulfilling to be given such a wonderful privilege of being in a strategic position to directly influence an established organization and its 15,000 strong employees in a positive way. No wonder the interview process was that stringent, four to five situational interviews in a span of a week or more. It's understandable, the role is so sensitive the organization needs to carefully choose the person who it thinks perfectly suits the job. And again, I'm flattered to be that person.

Talking about the interview process, I think one of the toughest questions I answered was about the course I took in college vis-a-vis my professional experience. I was asked several times how on earth I became a procurement professional when I was a broadcast communication graduate. I could understand where my interviewer was coming from. They would like to know my motivation. They needed to evaluate whether my interests were really aligned with the demands of the job. Perhaps they would like to answer the question: Can I stay in the job? Of course, I was prepared for this question. I kept on emphasizing that having a diverse background is an advantage because I get to exercise and utilize both my left and right brain, my creative and analytical skills, which is what the job requires in the first place. In short, I can be a well-rounded person.

However, there's a comment from one of my interviewers that lingers till now in my head. Admittedly, I landed on a procurement job due to circumstances. Somebody from BayanTrade called me up and provided me an opportunity to explore the complex world of procurement and supply chain management. It was not a career choice, if it were then I could have enrolled in the University of Makati and specialized in Supply Chain Management (UMAK is the only institution I know in the Philippines that offers courses in SCM). But fate intervened and the rest as they say is history. Still, the interviewer's unsolicited advice was full of wisdom. She told me to pursue what really interests me, like broadcasting, or film, or advertising and marketing, and not to let circumstances dictate my career path. Really, it's something to ponder on! After all, I was first in love with the Arts.

But for now, I'm very much pleased to renew my relationship with my other lover - Supply Chain. Wish me luck!

2 comments:

  1. Go Ron! Hope you never get tired of using those big words...procurement...supply chain management...optimizing the supply chain...what else...

    ReplyDelete