Monday, February 2, 2009

Not A Writer


Writing got me to places.
This is one statement I remember from my high school journalism teacher and school paper adviser Mrs. Alma Rufila.
She always bragged that her writing skills and good command of the English language had given her the priviledge to travel across the country and to enjoy promotions at work.


May pera naman talaga sa pagsusulat.
Browsing through Jobstreet, I was amazed to find out that there was significant demand for writers today. You can earn at least 10K a month working at home by simply providing contents to websites. Also, Copy and Technical Writers' basic pay is now ranging from 15 K to 20 K a month. A very lucrative profession indeed!

Perhaps this is the same reason why my brother, on several occasions, submitted my resumes -and without my knowledge and consent - to government and non-government companies. He was really hoping I could nail the writer, or content provider, or corporate communication officer post in those companies. He was even pushing me to be aggressive with my application. He really believed there is future in writing. And moreso, he believes I have the skill and talent called writing. "Rat ka di ba?" he teases me often. He was referring to Chinese zodiac where people born in the year of the rat are often characterized as "creative" and born writers.

Unfortunately, writing does not form a part of my self-image. In fact, I dislike it. My head is often pregnant with thoughts, creative or otherwise, but I simply could not give birth to them as written works. They get aborted everytime I attempt simply because I don't have a knack for words. I have the idea, but halfway through translating them into something readable, I suddenly lose the interest (or sometimes, the original concept itself!).


In high school, Mrs. Rufila often reprimanded me for my terrible word usage and poor vocabulary. That even increased my reluctance to write. Ok, I eventually got the 'writer of the year' award during the commencement exercise after learning, albeit painfully, the principles of writing in order to "express and not to impress", and of reading and reading in order to expand one's vocabulary. But that didn't fade away the bad memories of having written gibberish, foolish unartistic composition whose failing form and substance seem to put to shame the "editor-in-chief post" I once held in school .

I hate to call that phobia, but is it not?

1 comment:

  1. I don't also think I can write very well. But it doesn't hinder me from writing what I have in mind. After all, I write not because I want to be pleased but because I just want to express. Sometimes, there are things that we cannot say personally to a person. It's through writing that we can do that. Just keep on writing.

    ReplyDelete